Each year the MEHMS PTA invites teachers and counselors to submit grant proposals for non-budgeted projects and materials that will enrich education at MEHMS. Past grants have funded student-led civics projects, hands-on science projects, field trips, computer applications, art supplies and teacher workshops. Priority is given to innovative teaching ideas that provide students with critical thinking challenges. Individual grants have ranged from less than $100 to over $1000.
Examples of previous Teaching Grants awarded include:
- Donation to Michael Vu for 8th grade Shakespeare in the Schools Program
- Donation to Katie Johnson (PE) to attend the Virginia Health Physical Education Recreation Dance Conference
- Donation to Tara Filmyer and Colleen Hoover to implement 6th grade Check and Connect program
- Donation to Jeff Buck and Axelle Eichner for implementation of 7th grade Civics Election Campaign Project award winning ideas
- Donation to Janet Lundin for 8th grade Science Flex Design Challenge